Saturday, March 20, 2010

Remembering Rwanda Middle School Project

Following is a letter that I sent out requesting to do an art project in a humanities class in remembrance of Rwanda.

To Whom it May Concern,
My name is Jennifer Mason and I am currently attending the Art Education program at Metropolitan State College and am currently in a Professional Practicum class where we have the opportunity to plan, design, and instruct a one-week studio workshop to students. This will allow me to become more familiar with the teaching environment. I am writing to ask for a chance to do a lesson with your Humanities class during the week of March 15-19. I realize that this extremely short notice but I recently had the honor of meeting Dr Hadidja Nyiransekuye from the African American Studies program here at Metropolitan State College. She has asked for assistance in a Symposium that she is organizing in remembrance of those that have died and suffered in Rwanda. The symposium is scheduled for April 6,7,8, and 12 with a parade through campus and then ending at St. Cajetan's where there will be a memorial of art created by anyone who contributes to the project.

Dr. Nyiransekuye has asked for our help in this remembrance and it is fully open to anything that we can come up with. I am interested in opening this event up further to the schools in our community. I know that students study various topics such as the Civil Rights movement, Native American Studies such as The Sandcreek Massacre, etc. Even though Rwanda is on the other side of the world, it is an event that has recently happened and there is a call for help in our community. I see this as an opportunity for children to learn about this current event, respond to this call for help and offer their support to the people in Rwanda. This type of event is the perfect opportunity for communities to come together and voices to be heard.

The manner in which I propose to teach this workshop is to ask the students to create a banner made on burlap using coffee, coffee beans, grounds and various other materials to use in recognition of celebrating their own success on their path along with those that have helped them. The reason for the use of coffee as it is a major source of agricultural income for Rwanda and is therefore in integral part of the structure of their culture. Using these materials offers a way in which to tactilely connect and communicate to those in Rwanda. On the other side of the banner I will ask them to offer encouragement, hope and success to those in Rwanda. These banners will be displayed along the path of remembrance parade at Metropolitan State College and then I plan to display images and possibly videos of the banners and events on the internet. I would also like to send these banners to Rwanda if it is feasible. I thank you for your consideration in this manner and hope that we can work together.

Sincerely,

Jennifer Mason

No comments:

Post a Comment